Posted By: Avita Sukhram
So this week I was going to focus on net neutrality, women’s rights, labor laws, Janet Yellen, and other things that have seemingly faded from our headlines. Instead, 3 major conflicts resurfaced which made me wonder if we (as a global community) are really making any progress. So here it goes:
(1) Israel and Palestine: With everything happening in Iraq, Iran, Syria, and Lebanon over the last few weeks, maybe the Israel-Palestine conflict was feeling a bit left out. I say this because I can’t seem to understand why this needed to happen. 10 days later, innocent lives on both sides are continually lost and all for the sake of politics. It feels like the song and dance we’ve seen before, where no one really understands how or why it got started, it just did.
(2) Ukraine: Where does one even begin in this mess? First off, sadly, Malaysian Airlines suffered another devastating loss as an innocent “fly” bystander to the ongoing rebellion. The latest news shows that a pro-Russian group is responsible and Putin’s approval numbers are in great shape. Even worse, this could have been avoided! Commercial airlines have thought about and implemented new flight paths during war times. So, what happened here?! “Better late than never” is just not an appropriate response but likely this is somehow the airline consumers fault as we have to pay for the additional fuel and with longer , delayed, or cancelled flights.
(3) Detroit: In our business, every day we hear about some version of the great path the US is on, be it economic recovery or the ACA success or home sales, things are really looking good! What’s that noise? Oh yea, don’t mind them, that’s just Detroit protesting for water!! I can’t even think about WHY this is not a bigger issue for many. Sure it’s just a percentage of the population but they are still people and we should be trying to do something to help. #justsayin
If we continuously battle the same issues like income inequality, climate change, and gay marriage there’s no way we can anticipate things like a Weird Al comeback or Fedex’s drug problems. Things are not as rosy as we’d like to think they are, but then again… could it ever be?
We hope you had a great week and have a great weekend ahead!
Other Interesting Links:
- Wine to Better Wine
- Get Motivated
- Apollo: 45 Years Later
- 2013 State of the Climate
- Kindle Unlimited
- Remembered: Elaine Strich
- New Series: Worth A Re-Tweet!!