At some point in your life, you probably have heard about the importance of developing a budget. But, why is a budget so important? Perhaps you simply spend what you must and save whatever’s left over. Or, perhaps you spend all you have and borrow or charge anything else that you need. In either case, given the limits of your income, you may have wondered, “What good would it do to have a budget?”
Whether you have substantial resources or live close to your means, a budget can serve as an effective foundation for a savings program. It may be one of the best tools to help you control your personal and household expenses, thereby freeing up income that you can redirect toward savings.
How does a budget help you accomplish this? Consider the following six points:
- Putting your actual expenses down on paper may reveal several areas of misuse of your financial resources.
- Once you see where your money is going, a budget can help you conserve your financial resources or spend them more wisely.
- A budget can help you to anticipate financial problems that could arise from your present spending habits, thus allowing you to remedy the situation before you are faced with additional difficulties.
- A budget can help you recognize the need for an alternative course of action to achieve your financial goals.
- A budget can motivate you to adhere to a savings plan.
- Finally, a budget can help you evaluate your progress toward meeting your long-range financial objectives.
Whether you dream of higher education for a child, an early retirement, or a special family vacation, a budget can help boost your savings and bring your dreams closer to reality.
HighTower Advisors, LLC is a SEC registered investment adviser. Securities are offered through HighTower Securities, LLC – Member FINRA/SIPC.
Copyright © 2015 Liberty Publishing, Inc. All rights reserved Distributed by Financial Media Exchange
HighTower Great Lakes is registered with HighTower Securities, LLC, member FINRA and SIPC, and with HighTower Advisors, LLC, a registered investment advisor with the SEC. Securities are offered through HighTower Securities, LLC; advisory services are offered through HighTower Advisors, LLC.
This is not an offer to buy or sell securities. No investment process is free of risk, and there is no guarantee that the investment process or the investment opportunities referenced herein will be profitable. Past performance is not indicative of current or future performance and is not a guarantee. The investment opportunities referenced herein may not be suitable for all investors.
All data and information reference herein are from sources believed to be reliable. Any opinions, news, research, analyses, prices, or other information contained in this research is provided as general market commentary, it does not constitute investment advice. The team and HighTower shall not in any way be liable for claims, and make no expressed or implied representations or warranties as to the accuracy or completeness of the data and other information, or for statements or errors contained in or omissions from the obtained data and information referenced herein. The data and information are provided as of the date referenced. Such data and information are subject to change without notice.
This document was created for informational purposes only; the opinions expressed are solely those of the team and do not represent those of HighTower Advisors, LLC, or any of its affiliates.